Library cards are free to all residents of Allegheny County. To obtain a library card, you must have a current photo ID and proof of address. We can accept the following forms of identification:
Photo ID and proof of address
- Current Pennsylvania driver’s license with Allegheny County address
- Current Pennsylvania identification card with Allegheny County address
Photo ID (may require separate proof of address)
- Pennsylvania driver’s license or ID card showing an out-of-county address
- Out-of-state driver’s license or identification card
- Student identification card
- Work identification card
Proof of address
- Utility bill
- Lease or renter’s agreement
- Vehicle registration
If you do not have a current official proof of address, please ask the front desk staff for assistance.
- Books: 21 days
- DVDs or Blu-rays: 7 days
- Music CDs: 7 days
- Audiobooks: 7 days
- Magazines: 7 days
Updated February 2020
Most items can be renewed up to 6 times. Items will renew automatically shortly before their due date; either 1 day prior to the due date for 7-day items, or 3 days prior to the due date for 21-day items. If another patron has a hold on an item, that item cannot be renewed.
You may have a maximum of 50 items out at one time, including:
- Up to 50 books
- Up to 5 DVDs or Blu-rays
- Up to 5 music CDs
- Up to 5 audiobooks
- Printed materials: 25¢ per day
- DVDs/CDs/Audiobooks: 50¢ per day
If the fines on your library card exceed $10, you will be unable to use your library card until the fines are below $10.
Cash, checks, and credit cards are accepted in person at the library. Fines of $2 or more can be paid online.