Here are the answers for Week 4 of March’s At-Home Road Trip ticket book. Remember, to receive credit for this week, a parent, guardian, or other responsible adult must sign your page to confirm that you filled in the answers before the answers were posted. Click the post title for the full answers.
- In what state will you find Frank Lloyd Wright’s Taliesin West?
- In what state can you see the Aeolian Harp, which weighs 3,000 pounds and is played by the wind?
- In what state can you attend the Okmulgee Invitational Rodeo, the United States’ oldest African-American rodeo?
- In what state can you visit Carlsbad Caverns or the Roswell UFO Museum?
- In his later years, the harsh winters of Wisconsin would take a toll on architect Frank Lloyd Wright’s health. In 1937 he decided to build a new winter home in a more hospitable climate. His Wisconsin residence was known as Taliesin (named for an ancient Welsh poet); the residence he built near Scottsdale, Arizona, was naturally known as Taliesin West.
- There are a number of Aeolian Harps across the U.S., but the largest is located in the Mimbres Valley in southern New Mexico. This installation, known as the Tempest Harp, was constructed in the year 2000 and weighs in at 3000 pounds.
- The Okmulgee Invitational has been held yearly since 1956 in the town of the same name in eastern Oklahoma. The event was still held in 2020, although to a much lower audience than in prior years, and many of the cowboys showing off their riding skills wore masks.
- From the depths of the earth to the mysteries of space, you can find a little bit of everything out in New Mexico. Carlsbad Caverns was brought to the public’s attention by a New Mexico teenager in 1898, and in 1929 was named a National Monument. The Roswell Museum, on the other hand, isn’t recognized as a landmark or national park–in 1947, a mysterious object crash-landed in a farm in Roswell. The official story is that the object was a US Army weather balloon. But some people want to believe…
How did you do? Remember, if you answered the questions at all, you earn a chance for the gift bag raffle at the end of the program in May. And if you answered them all correctly, you’ll get two chances! You can email a photo of your completed and signed answer page to email@example.com, or drop off a completed and signed trip ticket at the library.