Here are the answers for Week 2 of February’s At-Home Road Trip ticket book. Remember, to receive credit for this week, a parent, guardian, or other responsible adult must sign your page to confirm that you filled in the answers before the answers were posted. Click the post title for the full answers.
- In which state were the Tuskegee Airmen trained?
- In which state was the first permanent English colony in the New World located?
- In which state was the first Coca Cola served?
- In which state was Abraham Lincoln born?
- This group of famous Black American pilots were trained at the Tuskegee Army Air Field in Alabama. In addition to pilots, support personnel such as mechanics and nurses are also counted among the ranks of the Airmen.
- Jamestown, the first permanent English colony in the New World, was settled in 1607, in what was already known as Virginia. According to Sir Walter Raleigh, who had surveyed the area in 1584, the area was known as “Wingandacoa”, which Queen Elizabeth I amended to Virginia. It was some time later that Raleigh discovered that “Wingandacoa” was a phrase in the local language meaning “Your clothes look great!”
- John Stith Pemberton invented the recipe for Coca-Cola in Atlanta, Georgia. After suffering a wound in the Civil War and subsequently becoming addicted to morphine, Pemberton began experimenting with various plant extracts in an attempt to find an alternative painkiller. In desperate need of money, he sold the patent for Coca-Cola syrup to Asa Candler, who founded the Coca-Cola Company.
- Honest Abe was a native of Kentucky. He was then raised in Indiana and began practicing law in Illinois, before beginning his political career. Lincoln was famously born in a log cabin–the original cabin does not survive, but a replica stands in a small museum on the site.
How did you do? Remember, if you answered the questions at all, you earn a chance for the gift bag raffle at the end of the program in May. And if you answered them all correctly, you’ll get two chances! You can email a photo of your completed and signed answer page to email@example.com, or drop off a completed and signed trip ticket at the library.