Dormont Public Library is an independent community library located in the South Hills which works to empower, educate, and inspire the members of the Dormont community and the surrounding Pittsburgh area through a wide offering of social, academic, and community-based programming. These programs help to establish the Dormont Public Library as a place of learning and growth.
The story of Dormont Public Library began on May 8, 1936 at a meeting of the Kelton Parent-Teacher Association. In June of 1937 the library moved to the office of Arthur Wessel on West Liberty Avenue. When the library began to grow, it moved to Glenmore Avenue, where it shared a room with the YMCA. In September of 1937, the Hillsdale Parent-Teacher Association was invited to join the original group. At the fall election of 1939, the citizens of Dormont voted to assist the library through public funds appropriated by Borough Council.
In 1946 the Dormont Public Library was incorporated and the Borough increased its appropriation. The library relocated to 1501 Potomac Avenue in 1954 to make room for its growing collection. Space continued to be an issue and in 1957 the Borough purchased the land, from Sun Oil Company, at 2950 West Liberty Avenue. On December 16, 1962 a dedication and open house was held for the new Dormont Public Library. The library has continued to evolve and expand in terms of physical appearance and the services it provides. A second story was added in 1989. This floor remained unfinished until enough volunteers and materials were available to complete half of it. In 1995, a Regional Sales Tax helped the library to increase its hours of service, to create a Writing Lab/Reference Center (staff supported), and to expand the collections of print and non-print materials. In addition, the library became automated.
More physical changes have also occurred. An elevator was added in 1996. In 1998, the parking lot was redone to correct a drainage problem. The other side of the second floor is now finished. It includes two ADA Compliant restrooms, a kitchenette, and the Keith Seminar Center, an all purpose meeting room available for rent to the public.
Dormont Library continues into the 21st century as a valuable community resource, offering programs and information for all ages. We are proud to be a member of the Allegheny County Library Association, the county-wide library consortium uniting community libraries of the greater Pittsburgh area. We provide traditional library services, but we also offer an array of technology services to the public.
Board of Directors
As of August 2016
Joe Costanzo – President
Barb Sabram – Vice President
Jan Moran – Secretary
Gary Young – Delegate at Large
Daniele Ventresca – Dormont Borough Council Representative
Richard Roell – Delegate at Large
Tanya Contos – Delegate at Large
Amie Downs – Delegate at Large